Student Union Building with Person Walkin

LAVC Counseling Services

Los Angeles Valley College Counseling Department Remote/Online, and In-person Counseling Services


Counseling appointments are available on a first-come-first-serve basis until further notice. You may schedule an appointment with any available general counselor.


Same-day, 10-15 minutes in-person drop-in counseling for general questions is available on a first - come - first - serve basis for general questions Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 3:00pm - 6:00pm, and Friday 8:00 am - 11:00 am.  Wait times may vary depending upon demand and counselor availability. For in-depth counseling that requires reviewing academic records, transcript evaluations or creating Student Educational Plans, please schedule a counseling appointment.

All new students are required to enroll in their first semester classes based on their CAP/Major, request a Student Education, and complete the New Student Orientation.



Please schedule an appointment with a counselor to obtain your Student Educational Plan (SEP). This personalized SEP will include all the required prerequisite, major, general education and elective courses tailored to your academic and career goal(s).


  • Sign in to your Student Portal
  • Select Student Status tile
  • Click on Student Success Page
  • Click on New Student Orientation (available in English, Spanish, Armenian and Russian)


All students enroll in classes based on one of five different registration groups. Check your Student Portal for your enrollment date.  Also, review the current Academic Calendar for priority registration dates for your student group. 

  • Group 1: Fully Matriculated* Populations, Active-duty Military, CalWorks, EOPS, SSD, Foster Youth, Veterans and Student Parents (with dependent child(ren) under 18)
  • Group 2: Fully Matriculated Athletes, L.A. College Promise and students completing a first degree in the registration term
  • Group 3:  Fully Matriculated continuing, new, and returning students
  • Group 4: Non-matriculated continuing students; students with 100+ degree applicable units districtwide; continuing students not in good standing, new and returning students applying after the cutoff date to assign priority registration appointments
  • Group 5: Continuing, new and returning K-12 students, K-12 students who applied after the cutoff date to assign priority registration appointments

*A Fully Matriculated student is a student who:

  • Is placed in college level English and math course
  • Has a Student Educational Plan (SEP) and
  • Completed the New Student Orientation

We are currently not accepting online SEP requests. Please schedule an appointment with a counselor to obtain your SEP.

Please Note: 


To access your SEP, go to your Student Portal, click on “Manage Classes” tile, scroll down and click on “Student Educational Plan” then click on Current Counselor SEP on File.

Your Student Educational Plan may include courses required for your major (some of these courses may require additional prerequisites), general education and elective courses.

  • Prerequisites are courses or skills you need to satisfy before enrolling in a particular course. For example, completion of English 101 with a "C" or higher grade is a prerequisite for English 102.
  • Major requirements are a series of courses in a specific field of study or subject area.
    • Major course requirements for Associates Degrees can be found in the Program Mapper or in the LAVC Catalog.
    • Major preparation for students planning to transfer to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) can be found on
    • Courses required to transfer to a private and/or out-of-State university may vary for each college/university. Consult with a counselor and/or the intended transfer institution.
  • General Education is a pattern of courses from various disciplines which are required for graduation from a college or university.
    • The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a pattern of courses that students can complete to satisfy Lower-division General Education (GE) requirements at any University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campus.
    • The California State University General Education (CSUGE) pattern can be used to satisfy lower-division general education requirements for the CSU system only; therefore is appropriate for students who are only planning to apply to a CSU.
    • LACCD General Education plan satisfies general education requirements for an Associate Degree only and should be used by students who do not intend to transfer to a university.
  • Elective courses are used to meet unit requirements for a degree or transfer and can be selected from any subject area based on the student's interest. Elective courses used for transferrable unit requirements must be designated as (CSU) or (UC:CSU) transferrable.

Students are responsible for meeting all course prerequisites. Course prerequisites are listed in the Schedule of Classes and College Catalog and must be cleared before a student can enroll in a course that requires such prerequisite. Students may use copies of unofficial transcripts to clear prerequisites based on satisfactorily completed courses taken at accredited colleges and universities.

Students in Special Programs (i.e., EOPS, SSD, Veterans, TriO, Black Scholars, DRC, etc.) should contact their program for assistance with prerequisite clearance and/or enrolling in excess units.


  • Schedule an appointment with a counselor or come in for a drop-in.
  • Make sure to bring with you an unofficial copy of your transcript with a passing grade of "C" or better for the prerequisite course.

If your request is approved, you can proceed with your enrollment process. If your request is denied, a counselor may assist you with filing a Prerequisite Challenge with the discipline Department Chairperson.

Students in Special Programs (i.e., EOPS, SSD, Veterans, TriO, Black Scholars, DRC, etc.) should contact their program for assistance with prerequisite clearance and/or enrolling in excess units.

You may enroll in up to 19 units for Fall/Spring semester and up to 9 units for Winter/Summer intersession. In order to enroll in additional units, schedule an appointment with a counselor or come in for a drop-in.


Office Hours and Location

Mondays to Thursdays: 8:00AM - 7:00PM
Fridays: 8:00AM - 1:00PM
Saturdays and Sundays: Closed

Student Services Annex (SSA)


Phone: (818) 938-8418